.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Confetti in my Hair

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Doctor Rock

I got surgery on my neck last week, the final culmination of this drama. Today is my first day back at work, and I feel like a million bucks. Let me tell you some highlights of the surgical experience.
-The whole operation took 5 hours, which my dad says is longer than open heart surgery. They removed a big cyst that ran from the top of my jaw, down to my chin, then around my throat on the other side. Sounds like an alien baby.
-They kept me doped up and in the hospital for 3 days and 2 nights. I started to feel like I was in a mental ward. It didn't help when my roommate Pedro woke up at 4 am and started screaming for his car keys and credit cards. The nurse told him he was 'freaking her out' and gave him some meds. I nearly threw a water fountain through the window and ran free.
-I asked my doctor (pictured to the right) if he listens to music when he operates.
"Yes sometimes"
"What did you listen to during my operation?"
"Um, the Police. Also some David (sic) Matthews Band."
-I fancied myself quite a dapper gent in the recovery room, making jokes and flirting with Emma the cute nurse. I thought to myself, "You're really working it, big man. Well done!" Then she took away a bottle full of my urine and I remembered it wasn't a singles bar.
-Doctor Rock told me he came close to cutting a nerve that would have taken feeling from my earlobe for the rest of my life.
-I am not allowed to shave for one more week. The Doc asked if I could grow a beard.

"Can I grow a beard?!!"

8 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger jomilkman said...

what of exploded ear drum man?

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw yeah...
nic

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery! :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Griff said...

please tell me you got to keep the cyst and have it floating in jar near your bureau.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Prahagirl said...

Glad to see you back on the blogosphere Jesse! We missed you while you were gone...the quick wit and humor were not as abundant! Good to hear that surgery went well and you are on the mend! :)

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vivited jesse in the hospital twice. this is further testiment to my kindness, beauty, selflessness, benevolance, saintliness, intelligence, dynamism, candor, modesty, grace, spunk, wit, wisdom, agility, althletic ability, genius, good smellingness, sweetness, amelieness, friendness.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesse - you're charmingly so hirsute.
I also like the word "chicanery," but I don't know how to work it in.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger jesse said...

jom- yes indeed, what of him?
nic- I know you.
mar- thankee
gri- I wish, I asked the doctor and he summarily refused, no lie. I still have my bloody wisdom teeth though, if you wanna come over.
pra- preesh
bet- you forgot humility
wis- Don't say hirsute. I'd even prefer 'swarthy.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home