Why lie?
Hey Jesse, what's the deal with your profile photo? I know you sport a mustache sometimes. Is that really you?
Your Faithful Reader,
R. Kelly
No, that's not me R., but I appreciate the thoughtful question! The mystery man is actually a Canadian newspaper editor named Randy. He lives and works in Newfoundland, an island far, far to the north, seven hours from the nearest land. I almost got a summer reporting job with Randy's small weekly paper a few years ago. I was going to drive all the way up there (20+ hours) in my little Hyundai Sonata with a mattress strapped to the roof. How awesome would that have been? Summer in a little Canadian fishing village, truly near the end of habitation? Meeting all the island people and taking their pictures and writing down what they do every day? To me, that was a dream.
Then the Canadian government said I couldn't have the job because there were qualified Canadians who could do the work.
I bore Canada no ill will for its collective decision to reject me. I was just disappointed.

5 Comments:
I always thought that was really you. You have so many different looks ... a true chameleon.
It's hard to hate Canadians.
I would like to live in a little village like that. I would sew things and make stained glass and have a little bakery. And maybe not make any money at all and just barter.
I always thought it was you also...one of your more clever ruses :) I thought maybe it was your version of Groucho Marx :)
i need to get a new job. but i don't want to go to canada!
Post a Comment
<< Home