Father calling
Last night, my dad called. We had just talked on Friday and I told him it was a bit awkward to hear from him again.
"Dad, we already said goodbye and that I'd talk to you after I get back from Venezuela."
"I know we did, but I have to ask- did you see Brokeback Mountain?"
"No pops, did it make you want to punch something?" (my dad is very liberal and pro-gay but he always says he gets a knee-jerk reaction to seeing men kiss and wants to destroy things)
"Actually it was a great movie. I wanted to ask you, you know that flashback scene with (???) Wel, do you think that was supposed to be a dream or fantasy or was it part of the real..."
"Wait dad, I didn't see the movie."
"Okay, but could you just tell me..."
He's nuts. I ended up putting him on the phone with Sharon, who he had never met or spoken with, but who could potentially answer the question he was battering me with. She must not have helped much because when I got back on the phone with him, he said, "I think I'm going to have to read the Annie Proulx story the movie is based on. Have a good trip. Is this awkward?"

3 Comments:
May I point out that he called *me* before or after calling you, and asked the same question of me and of my roommate?? Even though we had a consistent answer for him, I still don't think he was buying it. He also was starting to doubt that Ms. Proulx had actually penned the short story. Whoa there Dad.
-The Sister
I think I know which scene your dad was talking about, and, well, there was a poor transition, because it left me confused. I think it was a flashback, myself.
As for the movie? Eh. It did not meet my expectations as far as it being The. Best. Movie. Ever. Still, a naked Jake Gyllenhaal adds a little something to any situation. Read the short story by Annie Proulx instead.
poppas is crazy.
Post a Comment
<< Home