.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Confetti in my Hair

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2006 Greetings from the Wean

This is Mister Lady. Yesterday Nicole and I drove to East Boston and picked her up from a young couple who have Dungeons and Dragons in their email address. Apparently she was found underneath their back porch around Christmas, part of an abandoned trio.

The D+D couple told me she was
A) Their favorite kitten of the bunch.
B) The spawn of feral cats.
C) "Like a little man." (Mister Lady)

As soon as we brought her back to the house, she was scampering around, climbing all over stuff and making a ruckus. Friendly, frisky, da da da. The problems began after bedtime.

I left my door open because it's cute to have kittens snuggle up in your bed (squashing them flat is a risk I'm willing to take.) The problem is that Mister Lady wanted to do all this face-nuzzling, face-nipping stuff. Not conducive to sleeping. Every time I'd push her away, she'd come right back. If I put her on the floor, she'd scale my tall bed with her claws. She was relentless, like the T-1000.

Finally I put her outside my room and closed the door, only to hear persistent high-pitched mewling all night long. I dreamt of kitten catastrophes and woke up with a cold.

Now I'm a little nervous. I don't know if the constant need for companionship and nuzzling is normal. Is it just part of kittenhood or is it the sign of deep-seated trauma? Was this kitten taken from the mother too early? My last cat was crazy as a bedbug so I have no way of knowing what typical kittens do.

Also, if anybody has a better name than Mister Lady, I am open to suggestion. It's kind of a placeholder until I settle on something permanent. C-Smoove says Shamu. I was considering Caracas. What else?

9 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Name it after an X-Men character.

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beatrice? (From Kill Bill) I dunno. My cat Nikita is also a HUGE pain in the ass when it comes to sleepy time. Basically, the kitten is going to cry until she understands that it's sleepy time at night. So just keep up with the door closed at night policy. Also, a good plan of action if she continues with the biting and whatnot (even during the day), whatever it is that you don't want her to do- DO NOT REACT. Any attention, be it positive or negative, will probably make her continue. But that's different for all cats. My cat Oocla hates water so we have a water bottle we can shake at her (not even spray it) and she'll stop. But Nikita is a different story, you could spray her 20 times and she won't bat an eye (hence my non-reaction policy with her). But yeah... I'm a huge cat nerd so if you need further advice, feel free to email. :D

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger aprildawn said...

cats are nocturnal...they love the nightlife...they like to boogie.
you should name him 'rory calhoun'.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger ka said...

You do know that Mr. Lady was the name of the now defunct label for queer super groups such as Le Tigre and The Butchies? (thanks Smith College radio) Come to think of it - Le Tigre's a cute name for a kitty. And completely lacking in irony.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Kathleen? After Le Tigre and Bikini Kill's lead singer... :)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger d said...

Name the cat Jeff.

Trust me on this one.

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Lady

mister lady says "somebody save me"
she been sipping on a fruit cocktail
says she slipping off the sliding scale

rubbernecker wanna rent ya double-decker cost extra
i betcha wanna get bent
mister lady here to help ya get your money spent

mister lady she play strictly old-school
still shaking what her mamma gave her
mr lady she play you by the rules
slap on all of that pancake
strap up the family jewels

© 2001 Rachelle Garniez

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger jesse said...

Thanks for all your input.

erin's idea fits well with the kitten's super-powered feats of daring (my roomie sharon said I should name her after that X-Man character 'Wolfman.' what a geek, right?)

sorry marissa, never saw kill bill but thanks a lot for the tips.

aprildawn's suggestion is spot-on because the kitten stands up on her back feet, just like a little rory calhoun.

ved's got a good idea but le tigre is just a little too perfect.

I took dan mysterio's shot in the dark under advisement.

ms. b and jess also emailed some interesting ideas (dora, eidelweiss and elna) but after my last cat and fish (shelby and lydia) I'm leery of things that sound old-timey.

so after all that, I think Mister Lady is the winner, especially after Ved reminded me about the lesbian label and the kind stranger posted those strange lyrics to an even stranger song.

It just sounds right- "Mister Lady peed on my pajama pants. Twice." See what I mean?

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Coolhand said...

there is NO better name than "Mr. Lady."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home