The Clumsy Consumer, part 2
I'm sure you've all been waiting with baited breath for the thrilling conclusion of my MP3 player story.
So after I made my purchase, I got around to reading the fine print. Then I immediately forgot about it, putting my energies into tracking the shipping progress of the player. It was kind of unhealthy, how I kept visiting the UPS website every half hour, seeing my new buddy slowly crawl its way across the country:
5:32 P.M. CANTON, OH, US ORIGIN SCAN
8:31 P.M. CANTON, OH, US DEPARTURE SCAN
9:43 P.M.MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS, OH, US ARRIVAL SCAN
I could almost picture the little guy trucking along the Interstate, huddled amongst ladies underwear and herbal viagra supplements, just waiting to burst out of the package into my loving arms, wagging its little electronic tail and showering me with a caucophony of quality music. I hoped the UPS driver left the window open a crack when he had to stop for dinner. And would it kill him to leave out a dish of water?
Finally, after countless hours of patient stalking, I was greeted with this little online nugget:
Delivered on: Nov 15, 2005 11:52 A.M.
Location: FRONT DOOR
Delivered to: SOMERVILLE, MA, US
Yippppeeeeee!!! That night I was doing some boring thing like hanging out with my dumb friends or something, I honestly can't remember. All I do remember is taking my leave rapidly, mumbling words over my shoulder like, "Empeethree, happy birthday, get well soon, congratulations..."
I ran home, grabbed the box off the front stoop, burst into my room, tore into the package with my teeth (true) and shook the packing peanuts all over the floor. And there it was, in all its glory- 40 GB of...wait a minute.
All of a sudden key phrases in the fine print (RISK, chance, non-refundable) came back to me. In a wave of horror, I realized what was going to happen. I don't know why, maybe it was the fact that the previous owner, Samantha Townley, had etched her name and phone number in the back of the player. She also had purchased a custom leather protective cover, kind of like one of those "bras" you see on white trash cars at Hampton Beach. It struck me that no one who took that kind of loving precaution would ever get rid of their player willingly. They'd put it in a little lockbox at home with their diary and US Treasury savings bonds. That is, until the damn thing broke.
And sure enough, when I powered the little bugger on, it informed me it was in emergency recovery mode. It made a bunch of clicky, wheezy noises. It then said "Hard disk error" and shut down.
That's it. I'm cooked. I'll never buy anything off this "inter-net" again.

5 Comments:
I hear you about eBay, I read every little nugget of info if I'm bidding on anything now, and I've only bid on one thing this past year (Batman Xmas stocking, if you must know). I recommend Amazon, they seem to be much more reliable with their used goods. :)
Poor Jesse...that sucks!! I've never done the ebay thing, but my parents have and they've always been happy with it. But it usually for things for my nephew...and 8 months old is a little early for Xbox and MP3s....
jackie, that means he''s straight edge. For life.
complain to eBay and paypal. paypal has a money back thing. eBay will bitchslap the no return policy on defective merchandise. Do it and do it NOW!
Yeah, I am with Bitter Bitch. (I never thought I would say that in a sentence)
People who complain get EVERYTHING. I use to work in customer service on the receiving end of complaints, I know.
"Yes, sorry your food sucked, here is a free meal. Yes Sorry your room made you upset, here is a free night’s stay. Et Cetera..."
Jack Graham~ I hate it when drivers do weird stuff like point, flash lights, "X" with the arms. I always get out and look over my car to make sure everything is working right. (Actually I have never heard of the "X" thing- that's funny.)
Jesse- You wrote this story well. Very fun, creative, and adventure like. LOL
I felt like I was with you every step of the way.
Post a Comment
<< Home