Just a Good Ole Boy
I got a haircut today from a downtown barber named Frank Puglione. I paid $18 (I'm used to the $10 Golden Scissors special) for a 6-minute trim, but I got some priceless conversation for my loot.
Frank: So where do ya work, whaddaya do?
Jesse: I work at a law firm, I do research.
Frank: Oh yeah, whaddaya research, broads? (wink and a nudge)
Jesse: Yes, broads.
Frank: So where you live, kid?
Jesse: Somerville. (community of 77,000)
Frank: Oh Somerville, a local boy, eh!? (slap on the shoulder)
Jesse: No. Well, sure.
Frank: You know, ah, Tommy Cappicelli?
Jesse: No, I don't think I do. What's he do?
Frank: He cuts hair. I just figured you guys are about the same age, maybe you hang out, eh?
It's amazing that, despite the hipster steamroller that is homogenizing so much of Greater Boston, guys like Frank Puglione still exist, and are blissfully unaware of what's happening to their city. I'm sure he pictures me and Tommy grabbing a few brews, making nice with the broads, living in some decades-old version of Somerville.
That makes me sad. Next time, I think I'll go to Biyoshi.

4 Comments:
You just had an amazing experience. What about that could possibly make you sad? Unless this sadness you speak of is homesickness. Doncha got guidos in Wisconsin? Oh Jesus, now I'm homesick. If you run into Tommy, find out if he's single.
is it sad becuase you kinda miss tommy now? what is sad? i feel like you are a magnet for these old-timer types. can you write another blog thing cause i am bored. i have completed all urgent tasks here at work and am now waiting for lunch.
It was sad because I'm part of the problem and Frankie didn't know it.
And Nancy, I hate to shatter your carefully crafted image of me but I'm actually from Western Mass. Wisconsin was just a chapter in my Hunter S. Thompson wanna-be life.
No! Here I was all picturing you with a funny accent, a cheese head in the closet and a Michael Feldman bobble head doll on the dashboard of your four wheel drive vehicle. This changes everything.
Post a Comment
<< Home