This is only a test
Last night I had a three and a half hour IQ test as part of a research study at Mass. General Hospital. Riding the 66 bus later that evening, I was hit with a lightning bolt- maybe, despite all my fancy talk and calculated condescension, I'm actually as dumb as a box of rocks.
Word definitions. I was given words like 'police,' 'purpose' and 'enthusiastic,' and I was told to define them the best I could. The test was given orally in front of two female researchers my own age. I was doing pretty well, feeling cocky, loving the sound of my own voice: "Oh, 'panacea?' That'd be a cure-all for all things evil or diseased, from the Greek panakeia. Would you like me to use it in a sentence?" I was starting to think I could be the next Marilyn vos Savant.
Then I came to the word 'number' and the whole damn thing fell apart. I mean, how in the world do you define something so huge and abstract?
At first I said something pithy like, "Numbers are the basic units people use for quantifying amounts." But then the (attractive) researchers looked at me for awhile to see if I had anything else to say. I got nervous, thought about 0 through 9, and said, "There are ten numbers." Shit.
4 Comments:
No, there's 24 numbers. 24's the highest number. Look, ya got ten, then ya got ten more, then it's like, what's this? Four more. 24. Forget about it.
Dude, why would you put yourself through the torture? *hugs*
g-whiz
kay-c-note (I get paid $100)
jack-o-kay
b-nice
Jesse - define this word for me - "Rzepiejewski". thanks
Post a Comment
<< Home